Is the one you love abusing you?
yourSanctuary Surrey 24 hour helpline:
- Are you afraid of your partner?
- Do you feel bullied or belittled by your partner?
- Do you avoid family and friends because of your partner?
- Do you feel as if you are walking on egg shells at home?
- Do you change your behaviour to avoid triggering an incident?
- Does your partner have sudden changes of mood which dominate the house?
- Is your partner charming one minute and abusive the next?
- Are you afraid of making your own decisions?
If you say yes to one or more of these then you may be suffering domestic abuse. You can call your local domestic abuse service for help and support or read more under 'What is domestic abuse?'
Domestic abuse doesn’t always involve physical violence. Sustained controlling behaviour and emotional pressure are also forms of abuse. Regularly intimidating, bullying, criticising or threatening a partner are all forms of what is called ‘coercive control’.